Sonic Walden

For those seeking their personal Waldens in sound and solitude

Wednesday, October 18, 2006

INTERNATIONAL ROUTE 66 FESTIVAL









September 2006

Great times in Springfield. Chris and Julie (first pic) tagged along as I sought answers for my burning questions about the beginnings of the car radio in the early 1920s and 1930s, the romance between the car radio and the driver, the sense of freedom that music and the road give us, etc. I meet some really cool folks (see pics) - intelligent and knowledgeable. The more I find out, the more I realize I have only begun this project. Ultimately I will complete my book and hopefully accompany it with a soundscape that resonates road culture. What would have Thoreau thought - he was awed by the sounds of the train and its signaling of unrestrained technology.

* * * * * * *